[JDEV] Why XML?

I am new to this Jabber concept but there things confusing my mind and I'd
like to share them.

First, XML occupies much more space than a binary coded protocol. (And as
flexible as XML with a design similar to IFF files). XML will surely eat
bandwidth.

Also, XML will slow down the protocol parsing code and will make
client/server coding harder. A binary type protocol would allow us to
directly use struct's etc etc.

Protocols are used between software to negotiate, not the users themselves.
So visual appeal of the protocol doesn't mean much to me :)

I might have skipped a trick on XML but if I am wrong please correct me.

finest,

SSG