Re: [JDEV] ICQ and AIM

|Well I've been reading what you all are saying and it all makes sense, but
|there are a few things to consider.  To help relieve the system creaing
|tons of UIN's for people you couldjust have it search for older UINS with
|the ICQ search mechanisims.  Also, if I was an ICQ administrator I would
|get rather annoyed with a system that created semi random and anonymous
|UIN's for users.  ANyway, just some thoughts.

As I read the protocol, ICQ only allows *one* ICQ connection per nick,
because it uses a reserved port for incoming/outgoing information, and it
doesn't mention UINs in the packets, so you would have no way to
differentiate. (this of course may be wrong). Implementing ICQ as a two way
seemless thing seems unlikely.

BTW I like the idea of URLising things, to atleast allow the user to pick
the transport. And I also think that transports of other J servers should be
accessable for example, lets pretend the IRC transport exists.

Rather than have a whole bunch of J servers connected to IRC idling and
stuff, there could be ONE per network (ircnet.jabber.org). Then if I want to
send a message to myself I send it to irc:insomnike@ircnet.jabber.org ? This
is inkeeping with people being identified by transport and their server ..

INSOMNIKE is a jabber user on jabber.warzone.karma.tj
PHiRE sends a message to jabber:insomnike@jabber.wz.k.tj - basically asking
the transport to relay it to jabber.wz.k.tj for further processing.
INSOMNIKE also has a jabber mailbox on jabber.wz.k.tj
PHiRE's client sees the priority for the mailbox is the highest, and sends
to jabbermbox:insomnike@jabber.wz.k.tj
INSOMNIKE has an SMS Phone (or pager whatever) nick .. but it's on
sms.testnet.insomnike.cx .. (sms.tn.i.cx)
PHiRE sends the message to sms:insomnike@sms.tn.i.cx (or perhaps ..
555-1212@sms.tn.i.cx ..) where it's relayed to INSOM's phone.
so ideally I should be able to add nicknames to my username .. on OTHER
transport/servers.

insomnike - (root username)

  |- PII (my home machine - priority medium -
jabber:PII^insomnike@jabber.wz.k.tj )
  |- mail (my smtp mail box - priority lower - smtp:rewt@clubi.ie )
  |- mailbox (my jabber message storage - priority low -
jabbermbox:insomnike@jabber.wz.k.tj )
  |- phone (my GSM phone - priority lowest - sms:insomnike@sms.tn.i.cx )
  |- laptop (my laptop - priority high - defauly -
jabber:laptop^insomnike@jabber.wz.k.tj or
  |  just jabber:insomnike@ja.. because it's default)
  |- irc (irc - irc:insomnike@undernet.tn.i.cx)

so to recap -

addresses after @ are servers to handle the service .. and not neccesarily
my home server ..

nicknames to be preceded by (nickname)^ in order to seperate them from the
default (if for some reason I wanted to send my message to a lower priority
jabber connection .. like I *knew* INSOM was at his PII not his laptop,
despite the default nick)

URLs actually *should* have a form like -
jabbermbox://jabber.wz.k.tj/insomnike .. but thats a bit .. ugh ..

what I'm basically saying IS -

anything:anything@anyserver .. should be forwarded to anyserver for
processing, and NOT dealt with at the local transport layer .. this means
that if you want to use an ICQ transport e.g. and there's one on icq.wz.k.tj
.. you could go icq:2019291@icq.wz.k.tj .. and this means I can use
transports that my local J server doesn't support.