Re: [JDEV] [Code/CVS 1.0]

> First, a general evaluation of the first month of open source:
>
> Jeremie, you've done an excellent job! One thing that has lacked, however,
> is the fundamental rule of Open Source Development:
>
>               "Release often!"

Absolutely 100% in agreement here!  If I(both me and my home computer)
wasn't under-the-weather half the month so far there would have been many
more updates and progress *grin*.

> This means updating something in the CVS daily (or at *least* bi-weekly).
> The best way to accomplish this is if you put all your effort from now on
> into getting CVS up running, and distributing responsibility to various
> persons.

This is absolutely correct, and I've been considering my options lately...
it's just that I'm fairly restricted in how much access I can give to the
server, I just want to be safe or trust those that have access...

> I think I saw somewhere that you could make CVS work with SSH access.
> That'd be great. SSH is God's gift to network administration (which you
> probably know, since jabber.org runs a sshd).

Yup, I've been using SSH for a few months now... it's a bit slow from home
over the modem, but it works and looks like a good solution, but it
requires that I give out shell accounts and I'm not sure I can tighten up
the server enough to be doing that.

I think that is the way I'm going to go though, tidy up the server and
let trusted developers have CVS access through SSH.  Can I get away
without allowing telnet though?  Is there any way to configure SSH w/o
telneting into the box first?  I could probably just set it up for each
account individually and email the pub keys, no?

> BTW, the CVS source tree should be cleaned up. My suggestion is:

Hehe... it's not really structured right now, so ANYTHING would be better
:-)

>               /jabberserver
>               /transports
>                          /jabber-transport
>                          /icq-transport
>                          /irc-transport
>               /clientlib
>               /clients
>                          /my-cli-client
>                          /my-windows-client1
>                          /my-windows-client2
>                          /my-gtk-client
>                          /my-java-client
>
> Maybe the "jabber-transport" should be placed under /jabberserver.

Looks good, but /jabberserver should be /jabberbox, there needs to be a
/commonlib, or maybe:
		/libs
			/common
			/transport (don't know if it's needed yet)
			/client
Also, there should probably be an area for modules, maybe under
/jabber-transport.

> The coding style for the linux kernel is in
>           /usr/src/linux/Documentation/CodingStyle
> on a standard linux system. We might want to use 4 instead of 8 spaces for
> indentation.

Looks good after a quick scan, except that I like putting my {'s on their
own lines(find it much more readable) for everything, not just
functions... but I'll cede to the masses if nobody else does, *g*.

Jer