Re: [JDEV] About transports...

I'll try to explain how the status packets interact with other transports
and map onto their "status" settings...

A typical Jabber status packet might look like:
<status>
 <say>Busy Working</say>
 <priority>-5</priority>
</status>

Any client can't possibly be expected to understand about how a remote
system's status might be handled, so it's going to be up to the transport
to map a Jabber status onto the appropriate status settings for that
remote syste(ICQ/AIM/etc).

Say, for the above status, it was being forwarded on to an ICQ user via
the ICQ transport.  The ICQ transport would need to map the -5 onto the
range of "away" settings(-5 might be 'away' and -15 might be 'N/A', the
priority values need to be mapped out as guidelines yet, another
discussion).  Then, it would copy the <say></say> contents into the actual
ICQ away message.

It works just the same in reverse, ICQ status updates are translated to
Jabber and sent on.

A Jabber client should never need to be aware of any "transport only" data
like specific ICQ status settings, everything is converted to/from Jabber,
that's the point :)

Jer