Re: [JDEV] Some questions...

> 1)    Do the status messages include type='away'?
>     <STATUS>
>         <SAY type='away'>I'm away</SAY>
>     </STATUS>

Because of all of the systems Jabber will be representing, all of the
different status types are best represented with a combination of <say>,
<priority>, and <icon> tags.  The type='' attributes are only there for a
specific need, guaranteed notification from one server to another that a
user is online or offline.

It's a bit confusing and really needs some real-world usage to smooth it
out.  A lot of this will likely hinge on the <icon></icon> tag, where we
do need to come up with a base library of icons any client should try to
support: away, busy, not available, happy, sad, working, eating, playing,
etc...

I'd also like to try and support encoded gifs/bitmaps within the icon tag
like: <icon type='bmpenc'></icon> containing the hex encoding of the small
bitmap to display for that user.  This way the ICQ transport could
theoretically send the ICQ icons.  Of course, this all also needs some
discussion and real world usage :)

> 2)    When a client sends
>     <STATUS>
>         <SAY type='offline'>I'm offline</SAY>
>     </STATUS>
>
>     then _MUST_ it close connection or can it
>     stay and be in a mode like ICQ's privacy (other
>     users won't know he/she's online)?
>         That would be cool...

Absolutely!  The server doesn't care and will not disconnect the client,
it can stay connected and be invisible, definitely.

> 3)    Can users add empty groups? I mean
>     <ROSTER>
>         <ADD group="Friends"></ADD>
>     </ROSTER>
>     will be accepted.

There's nothing to stop this on the server-side, so it becomes a module
issue.  I'll be supporting it as I suspect most other module authors will,
I'll add it into the module authoring guide as "the right thing to do".

> 4)    Why I'm always fnishing subjects with
>     three dots? ;-)

It's the Tresdot virus!  Usually contains tell-tale signs in the message
such as "?" and ";-)"

*g*

Jer