[JDEV] Additional Uses of Jabber..

	Ok, I'll try to explain what I was talking about earlier with the
capabilities of the Jabber System.

	I was thinking the other day..  "Ya know, it'd be great if I used Jabber as
a way to communicate between servers, send error messages, etc..".  And it
his me.. I can..  Here are some examples of what I'm thinking of..

	On certain failures of parts of a server, I'd like it to be able to page
out a message.  I'd also like it to me able to transfer files between
servers, such as reports, etc..  Perhaps even send out a list of 'new files'
that need to be changed..  Currently, I need to manually place these files
on some 80+ servers worldwide.

	Instead of building on all of these, I could simply 'Jabber Enable' these
applications, and they could comminicate via messages with each other.  Once
things like Server Side storage of messages happen, I wouldn't have to worry
myself about delivery of the messages, as Jabber would take care of it FOR
me..

	Using Jabber would mean I wouldn't have to include all of the different
code required, etc, to each program, and I could easily 'Jabberify' any
application, and 'Poof', it has access to everything I've done before..

	I'm not really DOING this right now, as Jabber really has to prove it can
work on a wider scale then just testing right now before I could even come
CLOSE to suggesting it to my boss. What I AM doing is activly looking at
transports that I can make that would help serve this purpose.  The two that
I actually have worked on are file transfer abilities, and a pager
transport.  Both are in perl, as I simply LOVE perl, and it is very cross
platform with no intervention required beside's needing to actually have
perl installed on the server.

	This is also a VERY favorable way to do things, as I could have ONE server
serving the entire friggen world.  Of course, I'd have 2 providing backup
capabilities that would be transparent to Jabber itself (Shared drives, dual
cards that can takeover eachother's IP addresses, all of your run of the
mill 99.9 % availability things), but that's another storyall together..

	What DO people think of this?  I feel that if we move jabber forward, only
specifying it as a way for people to IM eachother, we'd be doing a great
diservice to what we COULD do with this..  Think about it..  Programs based
on Jabber would not need to deal with IP and proprietary protocols.  This is
what XML can REALLY do..  Not just stinkin static pages with a little data
in it, but pure XML transactions..

	Am I just dreaming here?

--
Thomas Charron