Re: [JDEV] date format

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Jerrad Pierce wrote:

> I would suggest going with the following, the logical ordering of increasing
> granularity. And to prevent a year 10K problem, the date field should be
> parsed by taking the right 2 bytes for day, next 2 for month, rest
> as year :-P
>
> date (@ UTC)
> yyyymmdd

There is actually a ratified ISO standard (ISO 8601) format for dates
which noone seems to be using: yyyy-mm-dd. Have a look at
http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime at W3C. This format have (among
other things) the benefit of being less prone to confusion for those
who are not overly familiar to the Gregorian calendar.

> time (in UTC of course)
> hhmmss

This too is described in aforementioned standard. See above URL. The
format also includes time zine info if you want it to.

Anders "Quest" Qvist
NetGuide Scandinavia

-- Why suffer scarcity? Look for the Open Source and enter a world of plenty!