RE: [JDEV] Re: Jabber registry

> 	Alright, that's a good argument. I now agree that the XML path is
> important. I do have a question, though, regarding 'permanent' profile
> information. This is stored per Jabber server, correct? So if I am a
> jabber user with an address of patrick@jabber.kia.net, then the jabber
> server at jabber.kia.net stores my profile (somewhere, maybe ldap, maybe
> not), correct?

Correct.

> 	I think that will make it very nearly impossible to have a central
> registry of any relevance. For instance, I would not be able to find my
> long lost brother 'joshua's jabber profile without querying every jabber
> server in the world. And if I'm not querying them directly, then
> jabber.kia.net is. Right?

There's been no plan for a central registry being part of Jabber.  The
structure is very similiar to email, so any registries are opt-in similiar
to bigfoot/etc.  BUT, since this is a feature that will be popular, I'd
like to build into the most common server modules the functionality of
being able to provide a list of the available registries and easily opt-in
certian searchable characteristics as the user specifies.  Most likely
something you'll see after 0.7.

Jer