Re: [JDEV] XML parser

> If jabber is suppose to be an XML app, why doesn't it make use
> of some of the available XMP parsers (James Clark's 'expat'
> comes to mind... (http://www.jclark.com/xml/expat.html))?

Because, at this point, expat or any of the others are significantly
larger than the entire distribution of Jabber.  And it does contain an
(incomplete) well-formed XML parser in tsp.c (tagged string parser).

> As I see it now, the protocol is not XML since it doesn't conform
> to the XML standard.

In what way?  Nonsense!  The protocol is perfectly valid well-formed XML.

> I intend to write a Java client (and ofcourse
> use one of the existing Java XML-parsers). This however is rather
> troublesome since jabber doesn't support true XML.

Please, do use any of the available XML parsers, they will work great!
I've been playing with expat(via the perl XML::Parser module) and it has
no problem whatsoever eating up the protocol.

> Will the protocol support true XML?

The protocol IS true XML.

Jer