Re: [JDEV] XML parser

For parsing XML with Java, consider using AElfred.  It is only 3 class
files, about 26k, and is very fast.

However, the version I had required a few modifications to work with the
connection to the Jabber server.  It expected the entire stream to be one
XML document, rather than a sequence of XML documents.  I don't know if
any other parsers have this limitation but I can send my (3 line)
changes to AElfed to anyone who is interested.

find AElfred at http://www.microstar.com/aelfred.html

Quetzalcoatl Bradley
qbradley@csc.uvic.ca

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Jeremie Miller wrote:

> > If jabber is suppose to be an XML app, why doesn't it make use
> > of some of the available XMP parsers (James Clark's 'expat'
> > comes to mind... (http://www.jclark.com/xml/expat.html))?
>
> Because, at this point, expat or any of the others are significantly
> larger than the entire distribution of Jabber.  And it does contain an
> (incomplete) well-formed XML parser in tsp.c (tagged string parser).
>
> > As I see it now, the protocol is not XML since it doesn't conform
> > to the XML standard.
>
> In what way?  Nonsense!  The protocol is perfectly valid well-formed XML.
>
> > I intend to write a Java client (and ofcourse
> > use one of the existing Java XML-parsers). This however is rather
> > troublesome since jabber doesn't support true XML.
>
> Please, do use any of the available XML parsers, they will work great!
> I've been playing with expat(via the perl XML::Parser module) and it has
> no problem whatsoever eating up the protocol.
>
> > Will the protocol support true XML?
>
> The protocol IS true XML.
>
> Jer

Quetzalcoatl Bradley