[JDEV] Bounced Message

Looks like majordomo was upset with this one, here it is:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Donovan Schulteis" <sculdheizo@mindless.com>
To: <jdev@jabber.org>
Subject: Re: [JDEV] Status Notifications /  Server requirements - Request for advise
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:37:36 -1000

>> Why not have the server store your roster list in your account (thus
>> allowing user/computer roaming), and when the user opens the client and
>> connects to their particular server, have the roster list downloaded from
>> the server to the client.  The server could then check to see who on that
>> roster is online at the time the connection is made and download that
info
>> to the client (Either with the roster, or right after downloading it).
>> After that the server does no more checking.
>> ...[much content compressed]
>
>All that you've said is exactly how it currently works, except for the
>fact that all the client has to do is send it's new status to the server
>and the SERVER forwards that status on to all of the users listed in the
>roster.  It's far better this way so that the "intelligence" is actually
>handled by the modules living on the server, and some people might want to
>handle status's differently so they can just write/change the server
>module and customize it w/o ever changing anything in the clients...

Oops, sorry.  No more comments needed on that one I guess.

>I really don't think anything about Jabber is going to be eating
>disk/cpu/bandwidth any time soon for any server, but I'm looking forward
>to the days when it does become that popular :)

It will.  Just before coming across your web site, I was mulling around
about coding a client to combine ICQ and AIM, since I have friends on either
but not usually on both (and I`m sure there are many others in the same
predicament).  The desktop space required to view and chat on the IMs, and
browse the web is too great.  As far as I know there isn`t anything else
like this out (or being developed to this scale).  Jabber is a perfectly
timed godsend for me. Thank you.

Deej