Re: [JDEV] Well-formed XML.

This is all REALLY great stuff, and was my original intention to do it
this way when I first started long long ago...  it's the "right" way to do
it from many points of view :)

BUT, as I started implimenting the server(and learning C at the same time)
it was MUCH easier to deal with the protocol the way it is now, and I'll
explain:  The server uses a main select() IO loop to handle the multiple
connections, and when there is data to read another function checks for
the <j></j> tags and extracts that packet, then hands it off to a general
handler routine which THEN passes that data to a (custom written) XML
parser, so the parser is just getting the data with one root element like
it expects....  So really, the protocol was adapted to make writing the
server easier at the time I started writing it.  And if you take the
approach to have a small handler roll around with the incoming data and
extract "packets" and hand them to the XML parser as it gets them, it
works quite well.

The "right" way to do it would be to just have the IO loop constantly
streaming data in chunks to an XML parser and change the protocol to look
more like a real XML document. I'd like to use expat to do this, but I
haven't looked into it enough yet to determine how it can deal with
incoming "chunks" of data...

The reason I haven't taken this step at any point yet is because it would
end up being an almost complete server rewrite, and although I'd REALLY
like to do that and do many things differenty/right, I just haven't had
enough TIME :)

To summarize, what we currently have "works" but could stand for a good
deal of improvement.  I announced/launched what I had in the state that it
is earlier this month so that I could hopefully find some help in doing
that "improvement".

<NOTE>
I'm going to do my best to write up a BIG STATUS UPDATE tonight
with all kinds of ideas and stuff on everything, from the server to the
protocol to the web site/docs and more...  hopefully help to bring
everyone to the same page and we can go from there
</NOTE>

Jer