RE: [JDEV] Hello...

> 	I was thinking about the below, and we have only one small problem.  NOT
> all users will be able to message to/from ICQ.  They will need to actually
> have an AOL/ICQ account, which will somehow need to be registered with the
> transport that will serve as the gateway.

Correct, if a Jabber user wants to communicate with an ICQ/AIM user, they
will need to have a respective account on those systems.  The ICQ/AIM
transports should allow two ways of this, either utilizing your own
manually setup account that you already have or got yourself, or having
this be an automated process.

I'd like to get a prototype transport up and running soon here so we can
work through some of these issues.

> 	We're also going to need to deal with privacy concerns.  I don't think
> anyone wants their passwords sent clear text to the transport.  Just some
> things that bubbled up from the great beyond..

Well, I'm sure crypto can be involved at some level, but I'm no expert
there.  Easily though, a transport could have the passwords stored in a DB
that is only enterable via a web browser and HTTPS connection, and they
would only grab it and use it to log in for the user.

For the most part, this should be a non-issue since the password is sent
in clear text from the transport to the ICQ/AIM/etc server anyway, the
only ones that would care are the encrypted IM systems.

Jer