RE: [JDEV] Transport Communication..

> From: owner-jdev@jabber.org [mailto:owner-jdev@jabber.org]On Behalf Of
> Jeremie
> Subject: Re: [JDEV] Transport Communication..
> > 	I've got a silly question..
> The most important kind! (seriously, many don't ask silly questions
> because they think they are just missing something but are really
> something everyone is wondering :)

	The way I look at it, the more silly questions I ask, the more IQ points I
gain, and hence, the more others lose..  That's my plan for world
domination..  Unfortionatly, I think good old Mr. Gates beat me to it.. ;-P

> Short answer: if it _wasn't_ encapsulated in CDATA secions, that means
> that (by definition) it would all have to be parsed into memory then
> recreated into strings, when the original and final are identical.  For a
> busy JabberBox I wouldn't consider this a simple task :)

	Alrighty, that works..  Now, what happens with an equally loaded transport
communicating with thousands of clients?  This is a very realistic number in
the case of a larger ISP that could decide to distribute Jabber to their
customers?

	More on the above thought later..  I've had many thoughts on this very
subject, and the drection Jabber COULD go if we market it right in the
future..

> Long answer: JabberBox acts as an independant data "router" that just
> transfers those CDATA chunks as strings reading/writing to different
> sockets and understanding addressing... when an internet router moves
> packets around, it just looks at the headers and sends the data chunks on,
> this is a similiar scheme.  The only safe way to do this in XML is to use
> the special <![CDATA[asdfasdf]]> sections as the containers for the data
> chunks.

	Ok, that works..  I was just curiouse..  This DOES make the most logical
sense..  Now, here's another silly question..  I've found that expat spits
out the the CDATA segment to the (Char handler I think?).  Is there a way to
tell expat to send CDATA segments to another function beside's the Char or
Default?

> Look at this as a feature, being that JabberBox can be used in a more
> general purpose fashion... because of this speration of routing and data,
> you can connect as a transport and send another transport ANY strings you
> want, it doesn't have to be XML, or leagl XML, so long as the sender and
> recipient understand it.

	Yep..  While I personally think we need to stay AWAY from this happening,
it's goodto leave it open in case someone else decides NOT to use XML for
some reason.  (Hrm..  A Transport that send things like SMTP commands..  Oh
man, my mind just went wild again..)

--
Thomas Charron
United Parcel Service