RE: [JDEV] my interest -- a few questions

> From: owner-jdev@jabber.org [mailto:owner-jdev@jabber.org]On Behalf Of
> Jeremie
> Subject: Re: [JDEV] my interest -- a few questions
> Wonderful!  Perl can be a big boon to Jabber, and I just haven't had the
> time to really work on it yet... although I know Thomas Charron has done
> some.

	Yep, done some..  UGLY as sin code, though..  If this week ever let's up,
I'm going to rewrite it to contain a hash of functions that will call on the
end tag and pass the text contained within the tag, something like:

%FunctionHash = ({"message", \&IncomingMessage}, {"status", \&Status});

	Then when a message comes in, upon the end of the function, it will do a
&$FunctionHash{"message"}($TheText);

	(I just pulledthat out of my rear, ok, It may bewrong, I stillrefer to the
perl man pagesat times..)

> It hasn't been talked about much yet, but at this point a user is really
> tied to their server, similiar to how your email client is tied to your
> email server.  On the same note, providing forwarding will definately be
> added to one of the modules so that messages can be forwarded to your new
> location like in email.
> The other thing I've been mulling around, is that any of the common
> settings for your user account(name/password/security/preferences/etc)
> could be expressed in a common XML structure, and could be saved by the
> user or automatically sent from the old server to the new server, but that
> is a discussion that will have to wait till we have something to really
> test it with.

	Good idea!!  You could even store the password in crypt() form.  And in
order to GET the XML profile, the requesting server would need to provide a
password in crypt() form..  If it matched, it'd send it..  This would make
it so that no server could get a password list to try to crack, as you'd
already need to KNOW the password to get it..  Perhaps even an option the
have a different 'remote access' password?

--
Thomas Charron
United Parcel Service