[JDEV] Jabber DOM Proposal

Greetings...

I have been doing some serious analysis of the current DOM
(jpair/xpt/xpt_pool) combo, and the W3C recommendation of the DOM. I've also
been looking at etherx and the jabber transport, trying to understand how
they use all of the nifty data structures.

Regarding the current DOM, it's unbelievably close to the actual W3C
recommendation for a DOM. Of course, the naming conventions are all way
different, but the heart of design is essentially the same. :) I suspect
that's on purpose. I've been trying to write a DOM according to the spec and
have found it to be a little more complicated than I originally anticipated.
Actually, it's not so much that the code is difficult to write, I just want
to maximize the *performance* and I've been trying different data structures
so that traversing the DOM nodes will be fast. Unfortunately, the W3C DOM
really isn't optimized for *any* structure(which ensures flexibility in the
DOM usage), except a linked list (which is pretty doggone inefficient when
you go searching for elements by name). I know, I know, Jer, you said it
would be easier just to work with the existing structure...I just like to
make sure.. :) While the W3C DOM is handy if you don't know what you're
dealing with, I'm now in agreement with all the rest of you that our DOM
should be optmized for the task at hand. As such, I would like formally
define our DOM so that we can expose it in the client lib and simplify our
existing code.

Things to keep in mind (will eventually be a proper introduction)
1.) The Jabber protocol is based on a XML *subset*. As such, the W3C DOM
really doesn't apply since we don't support all of XML anyway
2.) The Jabber DOM is more interested in organizing the contents of the XML
packet than in keeping the contents of packets in sequence. Parent-child
relationships are preserved, but the order of multiple child tags (with the
same name)within a parent is *not*.

DOM Public API types & functions
The Jabber DOM shall provide the following opaque data types:
1.) Tag: represents a XML tag; may have sub-tags, attributes, and one (1)
datum
2.) Attribute : represents the XML attribute(of the form <name>=<value>)
associated with a tag
3.) Datum: represents character data stored between tags

To traverse the DOM, the following operations are provided:
1.) hasTag(Tag t, String name) : Integer
    Desc: Determines if <t> has any subtags which match <name>; returns
number of matching tags
2.) hasAttribute(Tag t, String name) : Boolean
    Desc: Determines if <t> has any attributes with name of <name>
3.) hasDatum(Tag t) : Boolean
    Desc: Determines if <t> has any character data
4.) getTag(Tag t, String name) : Tag
    Desc: Attempt to retrieve first subtag in <t> which matches <name>;
returns NULL if none are found
5.) getNextTagSibling(Tag t) : Tag
    Desc: Returns any following tags (of same name, at this level in DOM
tree); returns NULL if none exist
6.) getPrevTagSibling(Tag t) : Tag
    Desc: Returns any previous tags (of same name, at this level in DOM
tree); returns NULL if none exist
7.) getTagName(Tag t) : String
    Desc: Returns name of a tag
8.) getTagDatum(Tag t) : Pointer
    Desc: Returns pointer to tag <t>'s datum; *not* null terminated
9.) getTagDatumSz(Tag t) : Integer
    Desc: Returns length of tag <t>'s datum segment
10.) getAttribute(Tag t, String name) : String
    Desc: Returns value of tag <t>'s attribute by name of <name>
11.) putAttribute(Tag t, String name, String value) : void
12.) addTag(Tag parent, Tag child): void
    Desc: Adds <child> as subtag to <parent>; does *not* replace existing
tags
13.) addDatum(Tag t, Pointer datum, Integer datum_sz) : void
datum size accordingly
14.) deleteTag(Tag t) : void
    Desc: Releases <t>, including all attributes, children and datum; use
with care
15.) deleteAttribute(Tag t, String name)
    Desc: Releases attribute <name> associated with <t>

DOM Internal representations
The Jabber DOM shall use the following internal data structures for the
representation of parsed XML:
1.) Node = the equivalent of a XML tag; contains:
    1.2) Value : String
    1.3) Attribs : AttribTree
    1.4) Children : NodeTree
    1.5) NextSibling : Node
    1.6) PrevSibling : Node

2.) Attrib = the equivalent of a XML tag attribute; contains:
    2.1) Name : String
    2.2) Value : String

3.) AttribTree = a balanced binary tree (AVL, probably) contains Attribs
keyed by Attrib.Name

4.) NodeList = a unordered linked list of Nodes which all have the same
name; contains:
    4.1) Name : String
    4.2) Nodes : Linked List

4.) NodeTree = a balanced binary tree (AVL, again) containing NodeLists;
keyed by the NodeList.Name

Traversal of these structures shall be accomplished
1.) GetFirstNode(NodeTree n, String name) : Node
     Desc: Searches the NodeTree for the NodeList containing Nodes with
<name>. Returns first node in that list.

2.) GetNextSibling(Node node) : Node
     Desc: Returns next sibling node

3.)  HasSibling(Node node) : Boolean
     Desc: Determines if a given node has another sibling

4.) AddNode(NodeTree n, Node node) : void
    Desc: Inserts node into NodeTree at the end of a NodeList for Nodes with
this name

5.) AddChildNode(Node parent, Node child) : void
    Desc: Inserts a <child> into <parent>.Children

6.) DeleteNode(Node node) : void
    Desc: Releases a node's memory (including any child nodes); redirects
siblings next/prev pointers

7.) NewAttribute(Node node, String name,  String value) : void

8.) GetAttribute(Node node, String name) : Attribute
    Desc: Returns attribute with matching name, or NULL

9.) GetAttributeValue(Node node, String name) : String
    Desc: Returns value of an attribute with matching name

10.) DeleteAttribute(Node node, String name)
    Desc: Releases an attribute's memory

The API I have defined below should be sufficient for most parsing tasks.
It's also fairly optimized for searching (using AVL trees), so you'll be
able to find tags of a certain type (that is with a given name) in O(log n)
time. Once you've found those, tags, you're restricted to O(n) traversal.
Basically, the DOM sorts tags by name and maintains tags with the same name
in a linked list. So, if you're receiving a roster message with this
you'll get the following:

tag tree: Tag(roster, Children(add, delete))
Child(add) has linked list = Tag(add, Datum(abc)), Tag(add, Datum(dave))
Child(delete) has linked list = Tag(delete, Datum(bob))

This setup will allow you to quickly isolate all the <add> tags in a
<roster> packet and process them iteratively.

I realize this representation is mildly redundant. If you read on, you'll
find I have optimized it a little bit, but it's still more complex than the
current DOM (jpair/xpt/xpt_pool). However, I feel it is *much* more cohesive
and maps closer to the actual format of the data. This is key to developing
a good client library that is flexible and useful. :) I also feel quite
strongly that the tradeoffs in additional memory consumption is well worth
the ability to search and process large packets (should they ever occur).

Let me know what you think. :)

d.