Re: [JDEV] Contact Methods

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Jeremie wrote:

> It can be a bit confusing, I'll try to explain... (note to self, need FAQ
> :)

this would be nice.. but a little more finalization on the roster methods
and we're set.

> Ok, this is what's unique about Jabber...  If you are a Jabber user, other
> Jabber users communicate to you via Jabber.  If those other users are on
> ICQ/AIM/other, they communicate to the transport, which then communicates
> to you via Jabber.  So, in the end, all the communications to you are via
> Jabber.

btw, brilliant design work done on this project.  if everything is done
well, we may be able to kiss all of the proprietary internet messaging
protocols bye-bye.

> There is no "multiple ways" to contact a Jabber user, there is only Jabber
> :)

well then, perhaps the idea of a tree view would be in order listing the
alternate transports available for that user:

   | Contact List                          |
   |  + Joe Doe (Joe Doe@jabberhost.com)   |
   |  - John Doe (John Doe@jabberhost.com) |
   |     |- ICQ (Offline)                  |
   |     |- Unix Talk (Offline)            |
   |     `- Pager (Online)                 |
   |  + Jane Doe (Jane Doe@jabberhost.com) |

with each alternate transport supporting the same functions as the main
entry (or definable by the server what functions can be sent to each
method when the roster is sent).

like i said before, there has to be some way to do this and still keep the
client very simple.  defining a list of functions for each method and then
subtracting the functions that won't work for certain transports would be
a straight-laced way, eh?

> But, where it can be confusing, is that in your roster you can have
> non-jabber users listed, such as 2134@icq or joejoe@yahoo.  Since they are
> _not_ Jabber users, you can only contact them via their
> transport(icq/yahoo/etc).  If they ever become Jabber users, they will
> then have a Jabber ID and you'll communicate with them via that.

in this case, there would be an entry for the name, but no jabber user
entry.. just the alternate transports.  when they do become jabber users,
the server updates there entry automagically (similar to sending a
message, just alters the database entry for your roster).

> If I've totally missed the question/statement here, rotten fruit will do
> to let me know :)

i follow what ur saying about jabber users.. just want a way that i can
link all of one person's transports/jabber ID together under one name.

it seems very intuitive to be able to communicate with a person in a
number of ways, so why don't we use it in the contact list?  i can see
how a person would say i'm putting the cart before the horse, tho.  this
could all be saved for a later version, of course..  certainly, let's keep
thrashing ideas about, tho.

regards,
Chase Phillips
--