Re: [JDEV] Contact Methods

> What type of paradigm is being used to create the sending/receiving of
> rosters and the makeup of each individual roster?  Is there a mailing list
> message relating to this?  Saw nothing on the web site regarding the
> Jabber roster structure.

It can be a bit confusing, I'll try to explain... (note to self, need FAQ
:)

> I am interested in that there are multiple ways to contact one person
> (services to that person) and jabber servers/transports can be used in
> each one of those contact "methods".  I would like to see inside the
> messaging window individual options to contact through various ways
> (Direct->Jabber, Direct->ICQ, Direct->Pager, etc).  Does this conflict
> with the Simple Client idea, or, since this information is sent in a
> roster retrieve and interpreted only by the Jabber Server, will this add
> to the Simple Client, making it more powerful?

Ok, this is what's unique about Jabber...  If you are a Jabber user, other
Jabber users communicate to you via Jabber.  If those other users are on
ICQ/AIM/other, they communicate to the transport, which then communicates
to you via Jabber.  So, in the end, all the communications to you are via
Jabber.

There is no "multiple ways" to contact a Jabber user, there is only Jabber
:)

But, where it can be confusing, is that in your roster you can have
non-jabber users listed, such as 2134@icq or joejoe@yahoo.  Since they are
_not_ Jabber users, you can only contact them via their
transport(icq/yahoo/etc).  If they ever become Jabber users, they will
then have a Jabber ID and you'll communicate with them via that.

If I've totally missed the question/statement here, rotten fruit will do
to let me know :)

Jer