RE: [JDEV] Contact Methods

> From: owner-jdev@jabber.org On Behalf Of Jeremie
> Subject: Re: [JDEV] Contact Methods
> If he was using a windows Jabber client, logged into a Jabber enabled unix
> host, and had a Jabber<->Pager gateway set up, the roster might look like:

	Is this supposed to be a hint to checkin the Windows client exe to cvs?
;-P

>     +---------------------------------------+
>     | Contact List                          |
>     |  + Joe Doe (Joe Doe@jabberhost.com)   |
>     |  - John Doe (John Doe@jabberhost.com) |
>     |     |- WinJab (busy)                  |
>     |     |- Unix Server (idle)             |
>     |     `- Pager                          |
>     |  + Jane Doe (Jane Doe@jabberhost.com) |
>     +---------------------------------------+
> So, the tree under a user in a roster is based on their sessions.  Any
> "transports" that user is making use of is that users business, nothing we
> will care about.

	It does, but I think we're talking about taking your idea one step further.
Aka, Using Jabber to maintain contact with anyone in any way that transports
will allow.  Aka:

     | Contact List                          |
     |  + Joe Doe (Joe Doe@jabberhost.com)   |
     |  - John Doe (John Doe@jabberhost.com) |
     |     |- WinJab (busy)                  |
     |     |- Unix Server (idle)             |
     |     `- Pager                          |
     |  + Jane Doe (Jane Doe@jabberhost.com) |
     |  - Joe Blow (IWuvJer@aol.com)         |
     |     `- 167289@pagers.jabberhost.com   |
     |  - Ant C. Eater (234567@pagers.jabber>|

	In this diagram, I have the 'Primary address' next to their names,and
alternate addy's under..  Notice Joe Blow.  I know I can contact him via
AOL,or his pager.  In this case, I DO care HOW ELSE I can reach him.  I may
not care about what transports Joe Doe uses, but if he tells me he can also
be XSexyHoeX@icq.wuvviedovie.com, I want to be able to add that as an
'alternate' address, and not have it as another primary address.  This
appears to be what your saying, but the initial question (At least it's what
I want to know) is how will the status messages to SHOW this roster look?
My idea was like this:

  <roster>
    <group name="main">jenny<ext><Alternate
number=1/>545212@ICQ</ext></group>
    <group name="friends">user@jabber.server.com</group>
    <group name="system">olduser</group>
  </roster>

	or this:

  <roster>
    <group name="main">jenny</group>
    <group name="main">545212@ICQ<ext><Alternate
number=1/>jenny</ext></group>
    <group name="friends">user@jabber.server.com</group>
    <group name="system">olduser</group>
  </roster>

	This would use the ext fields to add the alternate adresses, and 'relate'
them to each other.  One way would make it so dumb clients would only see
the primary, and the other, dumb clients would see 'em all..

	Actually, while we're on the topic, is there a way in the status messages
to give 'em a person use name.  Aka, perhaps I want my brother in law,
XNateReadX@aol.com simply as 'Nate' in my contact list.  How is that done
via the current status system?  Kind of like above, how is 'Joe Doe' passed
as a name?(As you can tell, the status box in the current Win32 client
bites..  Working on it this weekend..)