Re: [JDEV] weird new authentication/roster idea

> as I look at the state of the authentication and roster pieces of Jabber,
> i notice that mod_mysql is in the pipeline. May I suggest a different way
> to do this stuff? Why not... LDAP? It is especially good for applications
> like this, it appears. It is explicitly designed to handle authentication
> and could certainly support rosters and other metadata, and hold pointers
> to stored messages. I haven't researched this fully, but it may also help
> with converting SMTP messages to Jabber messages. I might be way off base
> here, but a full-blown SQL database seems a bit heavy to me. :) A problem
> may be that the only free LDAP implementation I know of is not GPLed, but
> Artistic (see http://www.openldap.org) but I think other GPL projects are
> using it. (since the lib is only linked to in the client, it may not be a
> problem) Anyway, it sure sounds cool :) Anyone have ideas on this system?

Funny, I was just reading more on LDAP yesterday :)

IMHO, there will definately be a mod_ldap at some point since your right,
it's perfect for handling most of the needs of the server side, handling
user meta-data and such.  It will be much easier to write based off
mod_mysql or any other module once they become more complete, which will
happen over the next few months.

> hey, wow! Bricktext!

Very cool, especially if totally by accident!

Jer