Re: [JDEV] AOL+, ISP usage, etc..

Well if we look at the two protocols I can give a few really good
reasons.  One even though TOC says it is super simple this is not true.
The first thing it touts as nice is it's text based protocol.
Personally I hate messing with strings in C, not that it's hard but it
is cumbersome sometimes.  Another interesting thing about TOC is you
still have to track the sequence number like the OSCAR protocol.  That
is one of the most tedious parts of it.  Those are just some of the
things that TOC could have made easier but did not.  The items I like
about OSCAR are that I think the chatnav support is better, I think the
file transport support is better, and I think it is more reliable
because it does not disconnect you on just about any error that it gets,
and it's a binary protocol.  TOC has two nice points,it is fairly open
source, and the stock quotes on the buddy list.  That is a definite
draw.  Working with OSCAR we are still trying to get chatnav and file
transfers to work fully with libfaim.  Really either protocol would work
although I feel that we're going to find that the OSCAR protocol is
going to accelerate more quickly than the TOC protocol as AOL adds more
features such as the newest file transfers.  Like I said again, I
finally have little amounts of free time at night and would be more than
happy to work on the transport with you, just let me know.

--Thomas Muldowney