Re: [JDEV] Transport Name resolution..

>   Ok, I'm a little confused here..  How are we then going to handle
> single users utilizing multiple transports, without forcing the users to
> deal with actual DNS lookups?  There HAS to be a better way of doing
> this..  If I'm TwOlf@jabber.org, how does jabber.org know how to reach
> me?  Are we forced to actually go thru the ./jabbertransport for all
> usage?  Here's my problem.

Ahh... Well, all transports living within one etherx zone, or on the same
server, can all speak to each other via their local name, such as "jabber"
or "ICQ" or "IRC", etc...  So, if I have an ICQ transport installed at
jabber.org and I'm jeremie@jabber.org, I could address the ICQ transport
as 123456@ICQ.  Local names are resolved locally, to reach other servers
there must be a DNS name.

>   Several months ago we had talked about remote server usage.  In the
> scheme, as I know understand it, in order for me to use, let's say the
> ICQ gateway, I will need my local jabber server to actually RUN the ICQ
> transport, unless a remote server actually has an actual DNS entry for,
> let's say icq.tiac.net.  While this is all (just now) starting to make
> sense, I'm thinking that there has to be a way to accomidate both
> worlds, both true domain name and aliased transports..

Well, local transports are strictly local and can only speak locally
unless provided an Internet DNS name.  So their aliases work locally and
they become accessible on the net when provided a net name, is there
something this leaves out?

>   The current method will work great, untill Jer wants to connect to
> leagion.tiac.net to the irc gateway.  Won't work, unless I actually set
> up a DNS alias FOR slashnet.leagion.tiac.net.  Hrm..  Perhaps that IS
> the best answer..  just require DNS aliasing?

Yup, that was my conclusion... if you want your server to be accessible on
the net, it needs a DNS name, just like email :)

Jer