Re: [JDEV] "newbie"

> So two things
>
> 1) Just so I'm clear, transports are plugin's for the server?

Transports are basically mini-servers that talk Jabber on one side(to each
other) and either talk to end users directly or talk to another messaging
service and translate between them.

>    Has there been any discussion about a zephyr plugin?
>    (http://www.mit.edu/~zephyr/home.html
>     OR zion [perl-savvy ver.] http://www.mit.edu/~mkgray/zion/)
>    I'm not sure who else (other than MIT) uses zephyr anymore,
>    but I know CalTech used to. And it really does seem to be a
>    powerful mechanism. (Plus you then have a second windows
>    client among others right off the bat)

I'm aware of both of them, and from what I've seen writing a transport for
both of them shouldn't be too difficult.  If there's interest, I can set
up a team or project for either of these in a week or so.

> 2) What is CLI going to be written in? Because I'd like to do a
>    Perl version of jabber (it doesn't seem to be being done
>    already). Any suggestions for names? PABA is the only thing
>    that comes to mind (Perl + Jabber = Pabber;
>    bostonAccent(Pabber) = Pabah; )

As far as CLI, there is one simple test one included, but any effort
towards a fully blown curses based one would be great.

There is a perl module for Jabber already working and in beta,
Net::Jabber.  It's not on CPAN yet but available in CVS.  Using that
module you can write a simple perl script that will work as a Jabber
client and provide all the back-end for it.  Net::Etherx should also
arrive in time(after Net::Jabber has matured a bit since it shares much of
the functionality) to provide the tools to write simple Perl transports.

Jer