RE: [JDEV] artwork/UI

(For tmib and amalica, read the last part of the message to understand why I'm CCing you..)

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999 05:23:23   Corbett J. Klempay wrote:
>This is a very important suggestion that you're making.  I know (from your
>comments below) that you're worried of sounding like a marketing guy, but
>branding is really a legitmate concern.  If we want Jabber to become widely
>adopted, it must be pretty (I know that functionality and quality are the
>most important things, but as evil as it sounds, a slick interface is
>HUGE...the droves of AOL-using moms aren't going to care that it is a
>technically superior engine).  In the same way that anyone seeing the little
>flower knows it's ICQ, we must have the same thing going for us...

  Yep, totally agreed.  That's why the Win32 client does all of the fancy stuff like minimize to taskbar, and animated icons, etc..

  (I FINALLY HAVE my Visual C++ installed, and my laptop, so, starting tonight I can hopefully start back on the Win32 client)

>I don't know either...I would avoid risking it.  I think the only graphical
>reference we have to them is maybe an icon (or set) to indicate
>communication with an AIM/YAHOO/ICQ client.

  Theyt already did..  Take a look at the GAIM projects home page..  AOL lawyers basically told them to remove ALL wording of Gnu Aol Instant Messanger, and can now merely say AIM compatible, had to remove all AOL logos and icons, etc..

>Yes, definitely...I'm trying to think though...what comes to mind when you
>think of the word 'Jabber' (I think of a mouth kind of like the Rolling
>Stones logo :)...but it needs to simultaneously be slick, non-tacky, and
>classic looking all at once.  Any artists in the group?

  Niel, I'm forwarding this to you and Adam for the above comment..  For the rest to understand, Niel is the guy I was mentioning earlier that works for an ISP that is going to try to push Jabber for usage at tiac.net, which is now a part of PSINet, and also happen to be pretty darned good artists as well..

---
Thomas Charron