Fwd: RE: [JDEV] artwork/UI

---
Thomas Charron

--------- Forwarded Message ---------

DATE: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:38:46
From: The Man in Black <tmib@tiac.net>
To: "Thomas D. Charron" <tcharron@my-deja.com>

I'll work some rudimentary logos, etc up this week and and hopefully have
them scanned in next week.  Once that is done, I'll forward the results off
to you.
Once that is done, you can have the other devs vote on which ones are worth
re-working, rescanning, etc.

Another idea, is Jabber could hold some sort of logo contest, where the winner
would get a mention in the jabber docs, or some such.  Some little token of
esteem.  Just an idea.  There are far better artists on the net than me.  The
way that I look at it, is that what ever is choosen, should be simple yet
aestheticly pleasing to look at.  And most importantly unique.  I'll see what
I can come up with.  Right now my brain is telling me to use the letters; JBR.
But once I am out of work I'm sure that I will come up with something more
artsey.  See you Friday!

Neil Tozier

At 06:30 AM 7/21/99 -0700, you wrote:
>(For tmib and amalica, read the last part of the message to understand why
I'm CCing you..)

>On Tue, 20 Jul 1999 05:23:23   Corbett J. Klempay wrote:
>>This is a very important suggestion that you're making.  I know (from your
>>comments below) that you're worried of sounding like a marketing guy, but
>>branding is really a legitmate concern.  If we want Jabber to become widely
>>adopted, it must be pretty (I know that functionality and quality are the
>>most important things, but as evil as it sounds, a slick interface is
>>HUGE...the droves of AOL-using moms aren't going to care that it is a
>>technically superior engine).  In the same way that anyone seeing the little
>>flower knows it's ICQ, we must have the same thing going for us...
>
>  Yep, totally agreed.  That's why the Win32 client does all of the fancy
stuff like minimize to taskbar, and animated icons, etc..

>  (I FINALLY HAVE my Visual C++ installed, and my laptop, so, starting
tonight I can hopefully start back on the Win32 client)

>>I don't know either...I would avoid risking it.  I think the only graphical
>>reference we have to them is maybe an icon (or set) to indicate
>>communication with an AIM/YAHOO/ICQ client.
>
>  Theyt already did..  Take a look at the GAIM projects home page..  AOL
lawyers basically told them to remove ALL wording of Gnu Aol Instant
Messanger, and can now merely say AIM compatible, had to remove all AOL
logos and icons, etc..

>>Yes, definitely...I'm trying to think though...what comes to mind when you
>>think of the word 'Jabber' (I think of a mouth kind of like the Rolling
>>Stones logo :)...but it needs to simultaneously be slick, non-tacky, and
>>classic looking all at once.  Any artists in the group?
>
>  Niel, I'm forwarding this to you and Adam for the above comment..  For
the rest to understand, Niel is the guy I was mentioning earlier that works
for an ISP that is going to try to push Jabber for usage at tiac.net, which
is now a part of PSINet, and also happen to be pretty darned good artists
as well..

>---
>Thomas Charron

TMiB                               ebayid: themaninblack
http://www.tiac.net/users/tmib

--------- End Forwarded Message ---------