Re: [JDEV] More protocol issues...

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Thomas D. Charron wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 09:53:25   Lindsay.Marshall wrote:
>
> >Looking at the dtd in 0.6 I see that there appears to be no way of
> >including  a date/timestamp with a sent message. It seems to me to be
> >vital that when I read a message I know the time at which it was
> >generated - "meet you in 5 minutes" is no good if I dont see the
> >message until 2 hours after it was generated. (sure you can timestamp
> >on arrival at the client but that's no good if you are not logged in)
> >
> >Of course this may be there already and I just haven't found it yet.
>
>   Good point..  One could add it in <ext> tags, but I'd say that
> this would be much better to add in a <timestamp> tag within a
> message..
>
>   I'd say that this can be added sometime next week, after Jer get's
> the new server up and everything moved over..

A thought in the matter. Each mail server stamp a message. May there be
a similar need here for multiple time stamps in Jabber? Maybe it
should look like this:

<timestamp>
  <server>...</server>
  <server>...</server>
  <proxy>...</proxy>
</timestamp>

Or something similar:

<timestamp>
  <type>relay</type>
  <server>a.b.c</server>
  <time>...</time>
</timestamp>
<timestamp>
</timestamp>

Mind you, this sounds low-priority to me.

Anders "Quest" Qvist
NetGuide Scandinavia

-- Why suffer scarcity? Look for the Open Source and enter a world of plenty!