Re: [JDEV] date format

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Jerrad Pierce wrote:

> snip
> PS> Besides, RFC822 uses yy, big no-no. I suggested extensible yyyy
> --

In my job we work a lot with client/server and multiple server setups.
We've found that it's best to: 1. Store all dates in the GMT/UTC timezone,
2. Let the server generate the timestamp, not the client since the server
is much more likely to be synced to atomic time, where-as the client could
have a completely bogus time.

Why not use a simple format like: YEAR.MO.DY HR:MI:SE
It's elegant, with the larger units first, easy to parse (especially if
you enforce padding with zeros) and doesn't favor any one OS/Language.

Just my $0.02, which you are all free to ignore since I haven't
contributed any code. =)

-james

[]  James A. Hillyerd <jamesh@altavista.net> Java, Python & Perl Developer
[]  GPG Public Key Fingerprint for 1024D/9F956CDE (Expires 2000-02-01):
[]   C86F B073 92DF 1E24 EF0B  0118 6061 0FEC 9F95 6CDE