Re: [JDEV] date format/charc&lang encoding

On 29 Jul 99,, James A. Hillyerd sounded off on Re: [JDEV] date format:

> Why not use a simple format like: YEAR.MO.DY HR:MI:SE It's elegant,
> with the larger units first, easy to parse (especially if you
> enforce padding with zeros) and doesn't favor any one OS/Language.

   I agree, this seems like the most simple, straight-forward, and
elegent method of doing it. Though the date should probably use
dashes to conform to the W3C standard mentioned by Anders Qvist.
Although... I did like that one person's suggestion of not limiting
it to a 4 digit year ;)

On 29 Jul 99,, Dave Smith sounded off on Re: [JDEV] Character
Encodings and :

> Jer, you noted that it's not possible to change encodings on the
> fly. :) I would like to respectfully point out that it would be
> perfectly possible (and could even simplify the Jabber parse
> routines) if we modified the Jabber protocol to be
> one-document-to-one-packet instead of using a
> one-document-to-many-packets approach. This way, expat switches
> between encodings on the fly.

   However, I'm guessing that this would add up to increase long-term
bandwidth useage a lot. It's probably worth it for the ability to
switch languages tho, unless you pay for Net access by the
kilobyte...

--
"C'mon fighter!..
 Block it with your forehead!..