RE: [JDEV] Re: Jabber registry

> 	The proposal is fine as it is, but this is exactly what LDAP is *for*.  You
> don't need to invent or write anything, including a data store, LDAP
> interfaces are well known, documented, and stable, and existing LDAP servers
> could be tapped for user profile information. LDAP servers can be backed up,
> replicated, and so on, all independantly of jabber. Additionally, LDAP
> authentication will be integrated into Jabber servers (a mod_ldap,
> undoubtably) eventually, probably sooner rather than later.
>
> 	With LDAP as the registry, users could search or update the registry using
> standard tools, or a web interface. LDAP client libraries are relatively
> easy to integrate with both clients and servers.
>
> 	There is also a good free LDAP server at http://www.openldap.org/ which I
> can vouch for. The web hosting company I work for uses it exclusively, and I
> do all of their LDAP-related development.
>
> 	Not to try to convince you or anything.  :)

Yes, I agree with the LDAP argument completly, and mod_ldap will be a
standard module available and one of the more common ones to use.

BUT, the queries still need to come to the server via the normal XML path
as the info/query proposal specifies, the server will then talk to the
LDAP server(via mod_ldap). This way clients don't need to support LDAP
natively, but most importantly, a good deal of the queries they are going
to be making will be for dynamically retreived data from internally on the
server and in other transports.

Jer