Re: [JDEV] Character Encodings and Languages thread

Jer, you noted that it's not possible to change encodings on the fly. :) I
would like to respectfully point out that it would be perfectly possible
(and could even simplify the Jabber parse routines) if we modified the
Jabber protocol to be one-document-to-one-packet instead of using a
one-document-to-many-packets approach. This way, expat switches between
encodings on the fly.

Just an idea... :)

Even if we do this, implementing the client is gonna be tricky since it's
going to have to be able to parse a funkily (is that a word?!) encoded
document....

Just out of curiosity, how does AIM handle this? Or ICQ for that matter?

D.