Re: [JDEV] charsets (was: Protocol extension?)

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 21:51:19   Jon A. Cruz wrote:
>"Lindsay F. Marshall" wrote:
>Please, please, please, please, please, please don't get into multiple
>encodings.

  I'm not sure we're getting you..  Are you trying to say you don't want us to support multiple encodings?

<JOKE!>

>Please.

  That last one just to get the point accross?  >:-}

>First of all, From the XML spec http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210
>section 2.2 states:
>"All XML processors must accept the UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings of 10646;"

  Ahh, a darned good point I nearly forgot about..

>Thus, since we are basing things on XML, we can declare that if a client
>can't handle UTF-8, then it has a broken XML implementation. (if not, I
>can write them code. It's not too hard   :-)

  Yet another point..  We're based on XML, and Jer actually rewrote the servers to make them more standardized on XML, so if the XML standard says it, then I think we can rely on having UTF-8 support

---
Thomas Charron