Re: [JDEV] c / c++?

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Nicholas M. Kirsch wrote:

> Traditionally C compilers have trouble linking with C++ libraries. This is
> because C++ allows for function overloading (ie. having foo (void) & foo
> (int) ) and therefore mangles the symbol table.

Yes, this is what I fear.  I am leaning towards doing whatever it takes to
keep it pure ANSI C...there are just too many headaches with mixing the
two.

> Not that there isn't a way around it, but have you looked into any ANSI C
> cryptography libraries.. I've played around with a couple that are good.
> Let me look them up and direct you to their sites.

Sure thing.  Full crypto libraries are the nicest, but the most essential
thing I need is a solid large integer (and associated functions for
working in Z(n)) package.  I've looked into freelip (derived from
Lenstra's RSA129 effort)...but I like the fact that some of these other
ones have ASM code for a few different architectures at the root for
speed.  I have a superb book on elliptic curve crypto, for example, that
rolls its own bigints...but admits that they implementation is totally for
readability/understandability vs. efficiency...I'd like a good compromise
between the two.

CJK