Re: [JDEV] textual client, perl

> Okay, well the modules will simplify a few things I guess.
> I'm hoping/assuming you didn't reinvent the wheel and use XML::Parse?

Yup... depends on a relatively new version of the XML:: stuff.

> What I was thinking of doing was this:
>
> Have a proxy-client connect to the server and authenticate itself, then go
> into the background. The user can then run a seperate process(es) to connect
> to this to send messages. This saves the overhead of having to authenticate
> every-time, and lends itself better to text-mode multi-tasking (screen, ^Z)
> and execution from within emacs.

Actually, there's a whole project/team that I'll be forming around this
very issue, so that it can be done once for any command-line based clients
that might need that type of functionality.  It's called JNIX at the
moment and I'll be creating the space for it and posting some initial
proposals on the new server, should see it in a week or so.

> One question about implenting this though, is the server savvy enough to mark
> the user as offline if the user doesn't explicitly send an offline message
> (logs off without properly shutting down the authentication client)?

Yup, of course :)

> PPS>where are these mythical modules, I don't see them on the developers site..

You can browse the latest CVS tree at http://jabber.org/download/latest/
then check out the clients/perl folder.

Jer