Re: [JDEV] Protocol extension?

On 28 Jul, Thomas D. Charron wrote:
>   I MAY be mistaken here, but I BELIEVE that the character set is passed along with the leading <XML> tag, defining the version and charset that the datastream will use.  The ability would be proccessed and left o the expat library...
>
>   Jer, can you tell us if the XML tag is actually getting sent to expat?  I believe it IS passed to expat, so it should be able to handle all charsets that expat itself can handle..

(Remembering that I am not fully au fait with everything yet)

Marking the character set on the XML tag is not good enough.  I may
login and there may be several messages waiting for me, each of them
encoded in a different character set. How are you going to deal with
that? Fine, set a global encoding on the XML line, but I do think that
it ought to be possible to somehow override this for an individual
message (or nickname in fact)

BTW I couldn;t get the tcl/tk client to download so I wrote my own this
afternoon. It's called Stiletto and is about 75% done - I can login and
receive and send messages. I haven't got to grips with some of the
other stuff yet so that isn't handled until I can find some
documentation....

L.
--
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Lindsay