Re: [JDEV] Protocol extension?

> I suggest going with UTF-8. All ASCII chars stay the same, but then all Unicode are supported.
> Also, the W3C had been recommending it.

Whilst wholeheartedly supporting the idea of using UTF-8, it is not
clear that all systems would necessarily have the requisite support for
it at the moment. By all means make UTF-8 the default character set, but
why not allow the possibility of just stating the encoding.

Note that it is to only things in <say></say> that need to be dealt with
but also other textual items such as nicknames. Having the "name" sent
as an attribute of a <from></from> means that specifying an encoding for
it may be tricky or at least ugly.

L.
--
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Lindsay